Bristol’s oldest surviving building
Hidden behind the busy streets of the modern city centre is St James’ Priory, regarded as the oldest surviving building in Bristol.
The Benedictine monastery was founded in 1129 by Robert FitzRoy, 1st Earl of Gloucester, an illegitimate son of King Henry I and grandson of William the Conqueror.
The church retains remarkable Norman features, including the arcade of arches on its west front. Inside, parts of its medieval fabric survive alongside the tomb of its founder, who died in 1147.
Like hundreds of monasteries, abbeys, nunneries and friaries across England, the priory was profoundly affected by Henry VIII’s Dissolution of the Monasteries during the 16th century.
Bristol’s great medieval fair
The area around St James was once the setting for one of Bristol’s most important annual events.
The Horsefair was held here from 1238. Beginning around the feast day of St James, the fair lasted for fifteen days and spread through the churchyard and surrounding streets.
By the 17th century its importance extended far beyond Bristol. Merchant ships sailed into the city specifically to attend the fair, and were sometimes attacked by Turkish pirates while travelling through the Bristol Channel.
The final fair was held in 1837, but its name survived much longer in the geography of this part of Bristol.
Prisoners at Newgate
Not far away stood Bristol’s notorious Newgate Gaol.
Rebuilt in 1690 from the medieval New Gate that had once controlled access to Bristol Castle, Newgate became the city’s principal prison during the 18th century.
Conditions were appalling.
Prison reformers including John Wesley campaigned for improvements. Wesley recorded signs of progress in 1761, but the improvement proved short-lived and the prison later regained its dreadful reputation.
Convicts and debtors were confined within the building until a new prison opened on Cumberland Road in 1820. Newgate was demolished soon afterwards.
The lost castle of Bristol
Castle Park provides few clues to the enormous fortress that once dominated this part of the city.
The Saxon settlement of Bristol had developed close to this site before the Norman conquest transformed the landscape.
By the 12th century Bristol Castle covered a vast area, protected by the rivers and defensive earthworks around it. From the castle mound, its strategic importance is still easy to appreciate.
The fortress played a part in the English Civil War and Bristol changed hands during the conflict.
In 1656, Oliver Cromwell ordered the castle to be destroyed.
Today fragments of its history survive beneath and around Castle Park, alongside the ruins of St Peter’s Church — leaving a surprisingly tranquil green space where one of medieval Bristol’s most formidable structures once stood.
A Bristol woman who governed Pennsylvania
At Quakers’ Friars, the walk uncovers an extraordinary transatlantic story.
The site had once been occupied by a Dominican friary before becoming associated with Bristol’s Quaker community.
It was here that William Penn married Bristol-born Hannah Callowhill in 1696.
Callowhill came from a family of Quaker merchants and had been taught management and accounting so that she could eventually run the businesses she inherited.
After marrying Penn she travelled with him to America, where his Province of Pennsylvania was struggling with considerable debts.
When Penn suffered a series of strokes in 1712, Hannah effectively took responsibility for Pennsylvania. She continued to administer the province after his death, paying off debts and helping to secure its future.
She later became the first woman to receive Honorary Citizenship of the United States. :contentReference[oaicite:5]{index=5}
The world’s first Methodist chapel
Back among the shops of Broadmead stands another building of international significance.
The New Room was founded by John Wesley in 1739 and is regarded as the world’s first Methodist chapel.
The building remains remarkably close to its original purpose and appearance.
Its influence travelled far beyond Bristol. Following a conference here in 1771, Francis Asbury travelled to America, where he became one of the most important figures in the development of Methodism.
John Wesley’s brother Charles also lived nearby. One of Christianity’s most celebrated hymn writers, Charles Wesley is buried at St James’ Church, bringing the route almost full circle.
What you’ll discover
St James’ Priory reveals just how much of Bristol’s history survives among streets now dominated by shops, roads and modern development.
- St James’ Priory — Bristol’s oldest surviving building and a remarkable Norman church.
- The Horsefair — a medieval Bristol fair that attracted merchants from far beyond the city.
- Castle Park — the site of the enormous fortress that once dominated Bristol.
- St Peter’s Church — evocative ruins within the former castle landscape.
- Quakers’ Friars — connected with William Penn and the remarkable Hannah Callowhill Penn.
- The New Room — the world’s first Methodist chapel.
- The Arcade — a surviving early 19th-century covered shopping arcade.
The complete City Walks Bristol guide follows the route through this often-overlooked part of the city centre, uncovering many more traces of medieval Bristol and the people whose influence travelled far beyond it.