Home Urban Walks Visit Bristol Gallery Complete walks

Walks in Bristol

Walks in and around the historic, vibrant and cultural City of Bristol.

    Bristol Bridge looking towards St. Nicholas' Church

    Bristol Bridge

    Archaeological finds have shown that there have been settlements in and around the Bristol area for up to 60,000 years. However, it is still being determined exactly when the first bridge over the River Avon was built …

    Clifton Down

    Clifton Down

    In the Middle Ages, Clifton Down was a common pasture for the manor of Clifton. In 1676 and 1686 the manor of Clifton was purchased by the Society of Merchant Venturers …

    Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge Bristol

    Clifton Suspension Bridge

    Designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the Clifton Suspension Bridge spans the Avon Gorge and the River Avon linking Clifton in Bristol to Leigh Woods in North Somerset …

    College Green and Bristol Cathedral

    College Green

    College Green, the site of the crescent-shaped City Hall (formerly the Council House) built in 1956, is approximately 3 acres and a popular local spot. St. Augustine preached here in the late 6th century …

    Walking back in time on King Street Bristol

    King Street

    In King Street, you get a glimpse of the 17th and 18th centuries. The street was built outside the old walled city, in 1650, by merchants who wanted to develop the town marsh and create a new residential area for themselves …

    Street Art Jacob Wells Road Bristol

    Queens Road

    At the top of Queen’s Road stands the Victoria Rooms, also known as the Vic Rooms, which were designed as assembly rooms by Charles Dyer. Charles Dyer was a Bristol-born architect based in London …

    Entrance to the Royal Fort Bristol

    St Augustines Parade

    Up to 1892, a long time before Bristol’s first tramlines were laid in the city centre, ships sailed into the city on the River Frome and, until 1827, a drawbridge was in service to allow access to the other side of the river …

    St. James' Priory

    St. James' Priory

    The Haymarket was the location for the Horsefair held in Bristol from 1238. The fair lasted for fifteen days and originally started on July 25th (the feast day of St James) this was later changed to the first fortnight in September …

    SS Great Britain

    Victoria Street

    In 1240 the River Frome was diverted through Canon’s Marsh to join the Avon, close to the present Bathurst Basin, to provide a harbour close to the town centre. These works were carried out, under the command of Henry III

.
.